Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne

Today was another day of exploring for me, so I decided to head into the CBD and wander around the beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens. This 38 hectares of garden beds, tranquil lakes and amazing sweeping lawns was founded in 1846. It is home to 50,000 individual plants representing more than 9,000 species from around the world. The last time I was at the Botanic Gardens was in July 2014 when my son Shane and his then partner had their pre-wedding lunch prior to heading to the Wedding register for the ceremony. So my visit this morning bought back some lovely memories.

 I have never spent time wandering around these amazing gardens before, but after spending 2 1/2 hours there I now know what joy it can bring to your day spending it amongst so much beauty. There are trees planted by English Royalty as far back as the 1920's and I even saw a Queensland Kauri that was planted in the 1800's.
One Huge Queensland Kauri
But trees are not all that these gardens provide, there's a Children's Garden, Ornamental Lake, Guilfoyle's Volcano, the National Herbarium and various tours and performances at specific times.
Looking over Guilfoyle's Volcano

Dramatic Leaves








No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.